Tuesday, October 4, 2011

No. 975 – Got Me Wrong


Performer: Alice In Chains
Songwriter: Jerry Cantrell
Original Release: Sap EP
Year: 1992
Definitive Version: MTV Unplugged, 1996

Because I had my stereo setup just right by the time Alice In Chain’s Unplugged performance aired, the quality of the sound on my videotaped recording was, well, not quite CD quality, but good enough so the move from VHS tape to cassette was clean. Consequently, I had no real need to buy the CD when it came out a few months later—a bit of foreshadowing for the coming digital age. I still bought it anyway, because it had three songs that weren’t shown on TV.

Anyway, shortly after MTV aired the show, I finally helped Debbie achieve a sports goal: see the Cincinnati Reds (her favorite baseball team, as well as mine) play a game in Wrigley Field. I was listening to my bootlegged cassette tape, which finished with this song, repeatedly on the drive to Chicago. It was a near-perfect day. We sat near the Bartman seats (perhaps even IN the Bartman seats, although obviously, no one knew it at the time), the Reds won and Harry Caray sang Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

Best of all, it wiped clean the slate from what was a near-disastrous Chicago baseball experience the year before, but that’s a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment