Tuesday, October 11, 2011

No. 968 – The Dirty Jobs


Performer: The Who
Songwriter: Pete Townshend
Original Release: Quadrophenia
Year: 1973
Definitive Version: None

I got into Quadrophenia in a big way my sophomore year in college, which seems about right. After an up-and-down freshman year, I had an excellent sophomore year that, perhaps more than anything, cemented my love of Wabash.

I lived in a professor’s house off campus with two seniors that year. The professor was on sabbatical for the whole school year, and it was a sweet deal—not only less expensive than the dorms but much better. Because I got third choice on the bedrooms, I got to take the professor’s roll top desk in the formal living room as my workspace, and when I wasn’t on campus, I was camped out there.

By this time, I had discovered the VAX computer on campus, so I typed all my papers there. And I found that I could concentrate on my reading better at some hiding spot in the library, so most of my work at the rolltop desk consisted of three things: playing Strat-o-matic baseball games, sorting baseball cards or reading one of Beth’s excellently mushy love letters. All the while, I’d have on my headphones, which included an extension to reach all the way to the stereo in the family room with Quadrophenia (among other things) playing endlessly and blaring enough for anyone who walked by to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment