Sunday, October 30, 2011

No. 949 – Rubina’s Blue Sky Happiness


Performer: Joe Satriani
Songwriter: Joe Satriani
Original Release: The Extremist
Year: 1992
Definitive Version: None

The Extremist came out right as the second year of the Flint Journal’s coed softball team was wrapping up. Right after that, the team entered its first MESS tournament. MESS is (or was) a weekend media softball tournament that brought together teams from all of the big Michigan papers to Traverse City. Dave and I drove up together, and we stayed cheap in a good old-fashioned cement cinder-block dorm room at Northwestern Michigan, which was right across the street from the softball complex.

We did all right but were eliminated from trophy contention in a tough third-game loss Saturday and then blew a heartbreaker Sunday to finish out of the money (no trophy) Sunday morning.

I repaired a little of my rep Sunday after being horsewhipped on the putt-putt golf course Friday night—with Bill videotaping the charade for all eternity. First, I got the game-tying hit in the 6th inning Sunday (but promptly gave up 6 runs in the 7th; it was a down year for me). Then I tied for team honors in the home-run competition after all of the Sunday games. How many did I hit? As many as anyone else on the team, and the number is more than one.

OK, I hit two. Hmm, maybe I need to do something about my swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment