Saturday, October 22, 2011

No. 957 – Helen of Troy


Performer: Robert Plant
Songwriters: Phil Johnstone, Robert Plant
Original Release: Now and Zen
Year: 1988
Definitive Version: None

When I joined the news copy desk at the Flint Journal, I was one of two people who were younger than 30 and three who were younger than 40. Most of the rest of the desk had been in the game almost longer than I had been alive—grizzled vets.

I was treated with kid gloves (ahem). I started at about the same time as an elderly woman, and we were essentially tasked with learning the system and not getting too much in the way.

Well, that didn’t play with me. I pride myself on being a fast-learner, and I was moving from an editing system that was, shall we say, arcane to a system called ATEX. It was like going from a DOS computer to a Mac. How easy is that? By the second week, I was being thrown inside wire pages to design and then edit and send. By the next, I started working weekend shifts, where you have to be able to pull your own weight (and, at times, a little of others’).

Meanwhile, the other newbie was still learning where the headline-fit button was.

The staff appreciated my quick study, and in return they taught me to drink. Welcome to Flint, pal.

No comments:

Post a Comment