Wednesday, August 1, 2012

No. 673 – Until It Sleeps

Performer: Metallica
Songwriters: James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich
Original Release: Load
Year: 1996
Definitive Version: S&M, 1999

After Mom’s cancer scare in the fall of 1999, she really tried to rein in her demons. I was—and still am—particularly impressed that she quit smoking. Of course, it only cost her half of one lung, but others have had worse and not kicked the habit.

Because of that, I have zero tolerance for anyone who complains about not being able to quit smoking. Save it: My mom, who had a two-plus pack-a-day habit for at least three decades and who had exhibited virtually no willpower when it came to changing things for the better quit cold turkey; ANYONE can do it. If you can’t, then you don’t really want to, so own it. It’s that simple as far as I’m concerned.

Jin, Scott and I were really proud of her efforts, and we wanted to celebrate that in some way, so I concocted a surprise 60th birthday party the next May (when I was listening to S&M a lot). We’d have it at my house. Jin would fly in from LA, and, of course, Scott and Shani would come up from Cincinnati. We’d meet up and take Mom out to a nice dinner.

But the cherry on top of the sundae was inviting Mom’s brother and sister, Aunt Sally and Uncle Jack. As far as I knew, Mom hadn’t seen them in at least a decade. When I pitched them on the idea, they both liked it. I even said I’d be happy to pick up the plane tickets and hotel, which they flatly refused but appreciated nonetheless. I insisted I’d pay for dinner though.

The plan was they (and Jin) would arrive Friday night. On Saturday, Mom’s birthday, Debbie and I would go get Mom under the guise that we were going to take her to a new restaurant out by our place (true). Mom never drove anywhere more than a mile on her own, so that part of the plan was foolproof.

Meanwhile, everyone at the house got the place ready with balloons and a poster of old pictures of Mom. At the appropriate time, everyone would come out to surprise Mom.

On the drive over, Debbie said she had something she had to get at the house, and when we showed up, Scott and Shani were in the driveway to greet us. That was a nice surprise for Mom but not too much of a surprise. They lived only a two-hour drive away. It would make sense that they might be there for a birthday dinner.

But when we walked in, Mom saw the poster and flowers on the table and knew something was up, but before she could say anything, Jin popped around the corner from the dining room, saying, “Happy Birthday!” Well, Mom wasn’t expecting that, and I could see her grip Jin tight.

But then Jack and Sally came around the corner, and I thought Mom was going to have a heart attack. She was crying. Jack and Sally were crying. Pictures were being snapped wildly, and I was grinning from ear to ear. I pulled off my birthday scheme, and it went over HUGE.

It was such an excellent surprise for Mom. To this day, I don’t think I ever have seen her as happy as she was then. That’s both great and sad at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment