Sunday, August 19, 2012

No. 655 – Miracles

Performer: Jefferson Starship
Songwriter: Marty Balin
Original Release: Red Octopus
Year: 1975
Definitive Version: None

The highlight of our final whole-family vacation to Florida in 1976 was the side trip to Disney World. We had gone to Disney World the past two Florida vacations, but this was different, because we were going for more than one day. Even better, we were going to stay at the Contemporary Resort, which at the time was the epitome of ’70s futuristic cool.

Unfortunately, we didn’t stay in the main building where the monorails filed through the open lobby but in one of the outer arms, but we still had full hotel privileges, and, of course, we could come and go to the Magic Kingdom as we pleased. There was no time restraint. If we wanted to go for a couple hours to ride a few rides, then come back and go swimming, we could do that.

It turns out that was a good thing, because pretty much everyone got sick at one point. I recall that I spent most of the first afternoon there in bed, but Jin and Scott had it far worse than I did. They were out of commission for more than a day.

It was nice in the sense that we didn’t have to have the whole family together to go to the park, but it also forced us to spend more time at the hotel to check in if anyone needed anything, because either Mom or Dad had to take care of Jin and Scott, who were 7 and 4, respectively. The good news here was a massive game room that had pinball and Tank was available, and I wiled away a few hours there.

As the stay progressed, however, everyone started to get a little stir crazy, and at one point, Mom and Dad had one of their bigger fights before their divorce. It was obvious that we needed to do something else.

Bay Lake, where Disney’s funky nighttime water show took place, surrounds the Contemporary Resort. One afternoon, Dad and I went down to the lake and rented motorboats that couldn’t have been much longer than I was tall. They had one side-by-side seat, and Dad rented two—one for each of us.

Now think of that: I wasn’t yet 12, and Disney was letting me take a motorboat out on the water by myself—with no helmet. I think we had to wear a safety vest, which was no big deal, but we didn’t have to sign any release form or anything regarding liability. Different times.

After many summers at Torch Lake where I had driven the old Lyman motorboat, I knew the basic rules of water safety, so that wasn’t an issue. We just jumped in and took off, opening the throttle all the way almost as soon as we left the dock. We spent the afternoon bombing around Bay Lake, jumping waves and having a blast.

That was my favorite part of the trip to Disney World by a mile. I mean, you can go through the Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain (the new ride that year) only so many times before it all becomes the same. In fact, being out in those boats is one of my favorite memories of all of my Florida trips and of being with Dad while I was a kid.

I’m not sure, but either the boats had radios in them or they pumped music out into the lake over loudspeakers, because I would sweat that I was heard top 40 while we were out on the lake (Games People Play by The Spinners seems to particularly stand out). Whatever, I would be willing to bet we did NOT hear this song, though.

When we went to Florida that year, this song still was on the radio. But it always bothered me that of the two versions of this song, radio always played the shorter version. I think I heard the full, twice-as-long version once in the car late at night.

It wasn’t until much later that I realized why this was the case (and why I’m certain we didn’t hear it that day in the motorboats). You probably know this, but until I heard all the words on the uncut version as an adult, I wasn’t aware what a dirty song this is—particularly for top-40 AM radio in 1975-76.

Back then, I had no understanding of what Marty Balin was saying as long as he didn’t use the naughty words I was forbidden from saying except on the school playground. Nowadays, given the death of subtlety and suggestion in light of how pretty much every rap song drops multiple f-bombs, most people probably would shrug when hearing Balin’s homage to glorious sex.

Like I said, different times.

No comments:

Post a Comment