Tuesday, September 20, 2011

No. 989 -- Half


Performer: Soundgarden
Songwriter: Ben Shepherd
Original Release: Superunknown
Year: 1994
Definitive Version: None

When you do an autobiography to music, you quickly discover that you might have a lot of songs from a narrow time period, and many songs are associated with the same thing. I bought a lot of music from 1993 to 1995, and I have to carefully parcel out what I say about each song in the interest of not repeating myself.

I was listening to Superunknown a lot after I moved back to Columbus in 1994, so I always think of my first apartment there. It was quite a step up from my place in Grand Blanc, as I’ve noted. The trouble is when you have way more space than ever before, you feel obligated to fill it up. All of a sudden you need a paper towel rack or a bathroom rug, and it has to be just the right one—whereas you didn’t care in college. So in the summer and fall of 1994, I was spending a lot of time driving around town, hitting up this furniture store or that department store for just the right lamp that tied the room together. I don’t know that I fully succeeded in my attempt at interior design, and I do know that I’ve wasted a lot of time and money storing and hauling around stuff that I should have discarded long ago.

It all seemed like a good idea at the time though.

No comments:

Post a Comment