Sunday, September 25, 2011

No. 984 – Blue Sky Mine


Performer: Midnight Oil
Songwriters: Peter Garrett, Bones Hillman, Rob Hirst, Jim Moginie, Martin Rotsey
Original Release: Blue Sky Mining
Year: 1990
Definitive Version: None

When I took the job at the Flint Journal in November 1989, it took me a few months to climb out from the debt I had accumulated up to that point. When I did, I finally had some meaningful disposable income, and I had just bought my first CD player. Consequently, I was spending a lot of time at the record store at the Genesee Valley Mall.

Because I also had just recently subscribed to Rolling Stone, I was eager (and able) to even drop a few bucks on something sound-unheard. One of those things was Blue Sky Mining. Midnight Oil had a good reputation, so I thought why not when I saw this one by the checkout counter. However, being the discerning shopper that I was, I decided rather than spend the $18 (back then) for the CD version, I instead dropped the $9 on the cassette. In other words, I was willing to make a $9 mistake but not a $18 mistake.

I have a clear vision of driving on Miller Avenue, heading towards I-69 to get back to Grand Blanc with this song on, going, “Hey, these guys are pretty good!” Needless to say, I’ve pulled a few rocks with these types of purchases, but Midnight Oil wasn’t one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment