Friday, September 9, 2011

No. 1,000 -- See the Changes


Performer: Crosby, Stills & Nash
Songwriter: Stephen Stills
Original Release: CSN
Year: 1977
Definitive Version: None

And we’re off!

I have no idea whether this song is really No. 1,000, or No. 1,004 or whatever, but it seemed that I needed something that was appropriate to the task ahead as well as a favorite song. See the Changes, indeed. There have been a few over the past 47+ years, and I expect there could be more in the next 1,000 days.

CSN was one of my favorite groups as I was entering my teens, and this album was one of the first that I bought, likely at Rink’s—the Kmart of its day in that it had a wide reputation for sucking but sold everything, including albums for $4.99. When the Buckeye Mart across the street closed, your choice for discount department stores was Rink’s, take it or leave it. We took it, but we didn’t like it.

I have vague memories associated with this song of my bedroom in our new condominium, where we moved after my parents divorced earlier that year. I noted with some sense of pride that it had the same wallpaper as the kitchen in Happy Days did.
 
I had to share my bedroom with my brother, and although the two of us were thicker than thieves back in the day, the last thing any 13 year old locked in the throes of puberty wants is less privacy.

One more note: When I note “None” in the definitive version, all that means is that I’ve either heard only the studio or official release, other versions that I’ve heard don’t particularly stand out in any way. Just FYI.

Hmmm. Yeah, I don’t think this would work on the Twitter. I can’t even fit it in 140 words, let alone characters …

1 comment:

  1. I confess that I am not familiar with this one, but I'm glad to see the countdown underway! Looking forward to the 999 songs to go!

    ReplyDelete