Wednesday, December 4, 2013

No. 183 – Fly on the Windshield / Broadway Melody 1974

Performer: Genesis
Songwriters: Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford
Original Release: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Year: 1974
Definitive Version: The studio version.

In my magazine-publishing class at Northwestern—at a time when The Lamb was a regular play—everyone had to write at least one article for the magazine in addition to the jobs to which each person won election. That meant everyone had to pitch story ideas.

I had a good one. Steve Dahl made regular commutes between Chicago and Detroit, and on the Steve and Garry show, he talked about a place somewhat along the way called Cornwell’s. It was known for its turkey sandwiches. So I thought I’d drive to Cornwell’s, pick up some turkey sandwiches, take them to Steve and Garry and interview Steve about Cornwell’s and how he found out about it.

It’s a good idea, right? It was within the range of Exit Chicago’s mission of weekend travel around Chicago; it was interesting and different; and it involved a regional celebrity.

Well, the editors didn’t think so. I don’t know whether they didn’t like that particular celebrity tie-in or didn’t want to do anything involving celebrities because it was “too easy.” (I think it was the latter.) Either way, it got a thumbs-down.

My second idea was Bronner’s in Frankenmuth, but it didn’t work out as mentioned a great while back (good ol’ No. 674). Well, OK. How about a Finnish country home in the Wisconsin Northwoods that featured outdoor saunas? They went for that one, so in October 1987, I headed north.

I don’t remember the names of the place or innkeepers, but they offered to have me stay the night at their place. I suppose that would’ve been the right thing to do to capture the feel of the place for the reader, but I was a highly principled budding journalist. I didn’t feel I could accept any freebies, so I declined.

I drove to Wausau, where I spent the night and then drove in the next morning to interview the family. It was at the end of the freeway along U.S. 8. I had a good interview, and I had a story that I wrote as though it would be the centerspread. It ended up being cut down to a single page—a two-column job as part of a department. Well, phooey.

I had been voted down for every editorial job; apparently my writing talents were similarly unimpressive to those voted in charge of the magazine. So I buried myself in my marketing and then other chores.

I can’t remember why, but at the final hour, editorial began to scramble looking for things they could fill the prototype with before it was time to publish the magazine prototype that we would pitch to publishing groups. I guess too many things fell through.

One of their bright ideas was to interview local celebrities about their travel around Chicago. Gee, why didn’t anyone think of that back in September? Naturally, the editors came to me and asked, hey, what about your idea interviewing Steve Dahl? You mean the idea that was turned down three months ago? Yeah, could you set that up?

I suppose I should have tried to play team, but I had my pride. Besides, I had a ton of end-of-semester work of my own. Because this request came just a few days before deadline, I didn’t think I had enough time to set anything up with Steve and Garry, let alone drive to Michigan to pick up the sandwiches. I declined.

But I felt vindication. My idea WAS a good idea after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment