Thursday, November 21, 2013

No. 196 – You and Your Friend

Performer: Dire Straits
Songwriters: Mark Knopfler
Original Release: On Every Street
Year: 1991
Definitive Version: On the Night, 1993.

Sometimes in life when you ask for something, you get it. No, I’m not talking about a three-way, which, of course is the subject of this dirty blues song. I’m talking about the time I umpired Matt’s T-ball game.

In 1992, I went home to Columbus a couple of times during the spring for reasons I’ve long since forgotten. While I was home, Matt had a T-ball game scheduled. Of course, I had to go to Northam Park—the site of my own little league baseball triumphs and failures—and watch my brother play baseball, or attempt to play baseball as is the case with any 8-year-old.

The second time was something of a rainy and cool Saturday morning, and I drove Matt over early for practice with Dad and Laura to arrive later. As the game drew closer, the umpire who had been scheduled to work the game was late. I wondered whether he’d show up at all and whether they’d need a volunteer. That would be cool. After all I had the experience.

I’ve mentioned this in passing, but a decade earlier, I umped T-ball and baseball games at Northam Park. I remembered the rules, although there was a new one concerning the last batter of the inning, but because I’d seen another of Matt’s games, I had that one figured out.

Almost as soon that thought was in my head, sure enough, the league commissioner came by and said they were short an ump and would someone handle this game? I immediately stepped forward. He gave me a clicker and the necessary paperwork to register the final score at the end of the game.

Dad got a big kick out of it. He used to come watch me ump when I was in high school, and, of course, he watched me play. (Did I ever tell you about the time my son got three outs on three pitches?) So when he showed up at Matt’s T-Ball game and saw me on the field, he was delighted.

It wasn’t much of a game, like most T-ball games. Matt’s team won something like 30-2, and Matt coincidentally hit seven homers. Just kidding. I think he got a hit every time up, like a double and two singles, but so did almost everyone else.

I’d say I’d forgotten how much fun it was to ump T-ball, but then remembering was why I volunteered that day in the first place. The game was easy. I remembered my rules, calling strikes if the batter lifted his bat before the catcher said “ready” and even calling a base runner out when his coach grabbed him after running past third base and dragging him back to the base. No one argued.

And my technique was exemplary if I must say so myself. I’d noticed at the earlier game that the ump typically avoided something that umps were trained to take care of when I did it. If there’s a runner on base, when the batter hits the ball, the ump is to grab the T and get it out of the way to prevent any collisions with it at home plate. At the earlier game, the ump left it where it was every time, and I complained to Dad about how doing so was dangerous.

Well, not this seasoned pro. Dad said later that the parents were amazed how this fan handled the game, doing things like grabbing the T, tossing it to the side, running out to the bases to make calls. They wished he were available to do more games. Unfortunately, work in Flint beckoned.

Ah yes, always leave them wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment