Monday, September 17, 2012

No. 626 – Digital Man


Performer: Rush
Songwriters: Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart
Original Release: Signals
Year: 1982
Definitive Version: Snakes & Arrows Live, 2008

I saw Rush for the 13th time last night as I write this (Saturday). It seemed for the first time in at least 16 years that it wasn’t just some variation of a greatest-hits show. The setlist, staging and lighting were all very different from what I’d become accustomed, and it had a purpose. Rush always is enjoyable live, but this was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen them deliver.

This song wasn’t among those played, and I was fine with that thanks to Snakes & Arrows Live, which Dave made a copy of and gave to me … for archival purposes, of course. The package’s arrival provided a brief ray of sunshine on what was at the time a very bleak landscape.

It wasn’t until the following winter that I started listening to it with enough regularity to get into it, particularly the newer stuff from Snakes & Arrows that already appeared on this here list.

Laurie and I decided that we wanted to take another warm-destination vacation in March 2009 when we had reached our limit on cold, yucky Chicago weather. A return to Mexico was a bit much, so we chose Florida.

Laurie had taken a spring-break trip a few years before with one of her friends, and they went to Anna Maria Island, which is just off the coast of Bradenton, south of Tampa. She said it was great and not too crowded, which was essential. The last thing I wanted to do was spend a week surrounded by chotches looking to party.

We scheduled the trip for the last week of March, same as when we went to Mexico. I wanted to go the next week, so I could see a Rays home game and knock another team off my list, but the schedule didn’t work out in our favor. I had have to settle for the beach.

We flew into Tampa early in the a.m. and got our rental car. I noted with some pleasure that we we’re going to get a P.T. Cruiser, which Laurie didn’t like, but I thought was perfect for a beachtown. Dad had a Cruiser while I lived at home, so I was used to driving one. The Cruiser was just your basic small car with a Thirties hot-rod body wrapped around it. Laurie said I could drive.

It seemed like a straight shot out of the airport to Bradenton, where we literally take a right when we get to town to head to Anna Maria Island, which is an island kind of like Long Island is an island—no more than 1,000 feet of water separates it from the mainland, and two roads connect it.

But before we got there, we came face to face with the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. We could see it from miles away, eerily rising from the ground surrounded completely by blue—sky and ocean. Of course, I-275 cuts across Tampa Bay about 4 miles, and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, with its cable-stayed design, is the span. As we got closer, I got a real sense of how high it went up … and how quickly.

This was intimidating, not only because of the actual height and the fact that you have no turn-offs and are surrounded by water, but also because if the wind were whipping into the bay, a top-heavy car, like the Cruiser, could be at the mercy of the elements. Plus, the Cruiser wasn’t a real powerhouse. I wasn’t sure it could make it to the top, let alone me.

So I just kept my eyes on the road straight ahead, refusing to look to the left or right or even out the back. I took it at a regular speed giving extra gas when I needed it and had no problem getting over the top. It was only then that I looked in the rearview mirror at the slope behind me. It looked like a 45-degree incline, even though it wasn’t. Coming down the other side was no problem.

The rest of the drive was incident-free, and we arrived at our destination—the Blue Water Beach Club, which if that doesn’t sound like a primo old-school Florida beach hotel, I’d like you to give me a better name. It was a two-story motel that had all the necessary amenities: a ce-ment pond, shuffleboard, palm trees and a 100-yard walk from our room to the beach.

Ahhhhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment