Wednesday, July 11, 2012

No. 694 – No Ordinary Love


Performer: Sade
Songwriters: Sade Adu, Stewart Matthewman
Original Release: Love Deluxe
Year: 1992
Definitive Version: None

I once wrote that Sade’s voice is the sound of making love on an island beach under a full moon, and I stand by that statement. This song probably illustrates that better than any other, now that I think about it. Brett once said that all he would ever want from Sade was for her to come over to his place and sing to him. I like that. That would be enough—and it would be plenty.

Anyway when I found this song in spring 1993, I was in the midst of trying to recover from two unordinary loves. The first one was Jenna. I had a realization at the time that I probably was never going to do better from a looks standpoint, which is a difficult conclusion to reach when you’re 28, because where do you go from there? Exactly, nowhere, until you put the realization aside. It was really an unordinary lust.

The other unordinary love, of course, was Melanie, and I’ll have a lot more to say about that at a later date. And after Jenna and I split, I began to rue the day Melanie and I broke up even more.

A depression set in, and it affected everything. I disappeared … into work, into playing video games at home at night, into softball. I already had learned how to drink, so now seemd to be the right time to apply my education to a fuller extent.

Unfortunately, I lacked the insight that the real problem just might have been myself, but I did understand that something had to change … fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment